Paleo Challenges and food restrictions can be challenging while trying to be the social butterfly you are! In order to be successful in your health you will need to adapt, luckily we humans are really good at adapting. Now, keep these 4 things in mind so you can party like a caveman. And remember just because you aren’t eating certain foods doesn’t mean you should avoid parties and social events.
#1 Fill that Barbaric Belly – Before you go to a party.. eat! And don’t just have a snack; eat a full meal that satisfies any cravings you may have. Follow it with a big glass of water. Staying satiated and hydrated will help you avoid eating unhealthy party appetizers.
#2 Pack a Snack – Bring snacks you can eat. So many people have food restrictions these days’ people don’t usually care when you whip out a bag of carrots or piece of chicken. Seriously, I have brought chicken with me to the bowling alley. Side snacking usually goes unnoticed, and if they do notice most will respond with “hey, give me a bite.” If you think this option sounds odd don’t let that stop you; you can always leave the snacks out of sight but it’s better to be prepared then choose something unhealthy!
#3 Take the Cake – In some cases, where outside food is prohibited (like your mother-in-laws dinner parties) we run into what I like to call Paleo persecution. For some reason some people are offended towards food restrictions. In cases where turning down a piece of cake is rude, simply take the piece of cake. Just because something is on your plate doesn’t mean you have to eat it. You avoid offending the host, and then you don’t have to spend the next 30 minutes arguing why their gluten free cake still doesn’t fit in your Paleo lifestyle.
#4 Recon the Menu – Every good caveman knows their surroundings before they take charge. Before going to a restaurant read their menu online, and know what you are going to order. Creating a plan will help you be more successful then winging it.
BONUS!! Craving junk food? Eat a piece of bacon, or two.
Now get out there and party like a caveman ya wild animal!
*Recipes from Wednesday’s potluck.
Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli Recipe
* 1 lb. boneless chuck roast, sliced into thin strips
* 2-3 cups fresh broccoli florets
* 1 apple, thinly sliced
* ½ cup coconut aminos
* 1/3 cup raw honey
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 Tbsp tapioca starch (optional)
- In a slow cooker, combine together the beef stock, coconut aminos, honey, garlic and sliced apple.
- Add the beef to the slow cooker and stir.
- Set slow cooker to low and cook for 4-5 hours.
- When the time is up, combine the tapioca starch with some of the liquid from the slow cooker in a small bowl. Pour it back into the slow cooker and stir well.
- Add the broccoli and cook for another 30 minutes.
Dump Ranch Dressing
Blend together with an immersion blender for 1 minute, the following ingredients:
* 1 egg, at room temperature
* 1 cup light olive oil
* 2 tbsp lemon juice
* 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 tsp pepper
* ¾ tsp onion powder
* ¾ tsp garlic powder
* ½ cup full fat coconut milk
* Sweet Potatoes
* Any veggies you want!
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Slice vegetables and put on a cookie sheet
- Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip veggies and bake another 5 minutes or until tender.